Cooks for Kids
After a long, stressful day, have you ever wished that you could arrive home to the wonderful aroma of a home-cooked meal already on the table? You can grant that wish for our guest families by taking part in our “Cooks for Kids” program.
You don’t need to be a world-class chef to provide a tasty, home-cooked meal. As a “Cooks for Kids” volunteer, your group plans your menu, shops for menu items, and prepare meals in the House kitchen for our guests.
More of a dessert kind of group – no worries, some groups choose to bake goodies for our families! Can’t come to cook at the house, sponsor a Pizza night, sub night or Chinese take out night!
How about a theme dinner – for a fun evening filled with delicious food!!
Our “Cooks or Kids” volunteers make a tremendous difference in the lives of our guest families. And the feeling you’ll get from helping will be “fuel for your soul”.
What should I know?
- All meals are prepared at Ronald McDonald House. We have all cooking and serving needs.
- Group should arrive at 4:00pm, dinner ready by 6pm buffet style.
- Meals should include Entrée, 2 sides and a dessert. No need to supply beverages.
- Please ask all group members to have hair pulled back while cooking. Gloves are available at the House. Please, if you or a member of your group is not feeling well please do not come to volunteer.
- All volunteers must be at least 14 years old and supervised by an Adult.
- Please bring no more than 10 volunteers for both preparation & clean up.
- Please plan a menu and shop for all ingredients ahead of time.
- Please confirm date. Let us know your menu so we can insure variety.
- Plan to serve 15-20 people. (ex. 1 large casserole, 2 lbs of pasta is plenty!)
- If you need to cancel please call as soon as possible!
- House tours are available. We can take photos, ask for a photo release.
Menu Suggestions: “Comfort Foods” are most popular!
- Chicken Dishes Baked, Grilled, Stuffed, Fried, Families love chicken!
- Baked Ham and Cheesy potatoes, Baked potato bar
- Roast Pork or Roast Beef Dinners. Hot Roast Beef or Hot Turkey Sandwiches
- Lasagna, Baked Macaroni, Spaghetti & Meatballs
- Homemade Pizza & Chicken Fingers, French Fries & Antipasti
- Casseroles & Stews
- Soups & Sandwiches, Subs – “You can make a Sub Bar”
- Taco Bar or Fajitas
Contact Lynn Hughes, House Manager, at (716) 883-1177 for more details or to reserve a date to cook! Please note that we are scheduling one to two months in advance.