Helping at the House
The Ronald McDonald House has 15 bedrooms and can accommodate 45 people each day (not counting babies in cribs!). A household of 45 (or more) needs lots of tender loving care every day to keep it tidy, safe and cheerful.
As a Volunteer you can help meet the needs of the families using the Ronald McDonald House and assist with the day-to-day operations of the House by answering phones, registering families and doing light housekeeping.
We especially need volunteers during the week. Call Lynn at (716) 883-1177 to find a time that fits your schedule.
You decide how much time you can devote. Some people volunteer once a year and others volunteer several hours every week.
As a volunteer, you might:
- Drive the van. You can transport family members to and from the hospital.
- Answer phones. We will give you the training you need to be able to handle the phones, take reservations and check people in. We do ask that volunteers who handle the phones commit to two four-hour shifts per month.
- Tidy the play room and clean the toys. We have many children who use the play room, including some children who are especially vulnerable to illnesses because of their weakened health. To keep them safe, we need to wipe off the toys often to help prevent the spread of colds and other illnesses.
- Ready the kitchen for the next meal or snack. Imagine what it would be like if 45 people lived in your house! The help we need in the kitchen includes loading and emptying the dishwasher, brushing crumbs from the toaster, cleaning the microwave, wiping spills in the refrigerator, and sorting and organizing drawers.
- Keep the House clean and pleasant. Our House is a refuge for families whose children are being treated at local hospitals, so we want it be tidy and welcoming. Tasks include dusting, vacuuming, making beds and folding clean laundry.
- “Deep cleaning.” It is always “Spring Cleaning” time at the Buffalo Ronald McDonald House! These tasks include cleaning hand-prints off doors, wiping down woodwork, cleaning door knobs and door pulls, washing windows and dusting blinds.
- Seasonal Outdoor. Grab your gloves and rakes and join forces to keep our house grounds beautiful: From raking leaves, to trimming bushes, preparing flower beds and garden soil for planting and other minor outdoor spring cleaning chores.